> >I gave up my old gas guzzler for an economy fuel model 6 years ago.
>
> Yes, but... Here, you buy something that doesn't play merry hell with
> gas consumption, you're buying a *foreign* car... You're not *just*
> unpatriotic (by saving money on the basic price as well as
> maintenance); you're contributing to the downward spiral of the economy
> (car factories closed, people "let go", with their pension plans down
> the corporate plumbing, etc)... You're *vermin*... and your car is
> likely to be "keyed" -- the paintwork gouged by the honest-to-God
> Chevrolet and Ford keys... by the true patriots... :) DH has had his
> car re-sprayed twice; I don't bother (I don't bother to wash the car,
> either; it moves *without* washing, doesn't it?)

Ouch.  I had no idea people did this sort of thing...  Amazing.

> I don't, especially, like Kerry as "the opponent" but, by golly, his
> idea that we ought to get ourselves independent on the energy front,
> and do it, at least partly, by conservation (like: making
> fuel-efficient cars *here*) is, definitely, *sound* (to my 2 remaining
> brain-cells)...  As with the taxes, I wouldn't mind paying the price,
> if I knew, for certain-sure, that "greater good" would follow...

Yep.
Also, really, why aren't there any *small* cars in the US?  My boyfriend
just recently told me that all the sign "compact" on parking spaces
essentially means "non-SUV".  I remember seeing lots of good small cars
in Europe (and I'm not talking about the Maluch, Tamara <g>), and I'm
always amazed at the sight of all the Americans driving to work alone in
their huge 5-person cars.

And the society just seems to be *so* driving-oriented... In Poland
there are small grocery stores scattered everywhere and we'd just go
do some small shopping any time we needed anything (5-10 minutes walking
from home and back, or just on the way from work or school, also walking,
by the way), but in the US there aren't any small grocery stores - it
seems like you just have to drive to a huge one.  And some roads don't
even have sidewalks!

Weronika