Joy wrote that an attendant told her it was illegal to reveal what percentage
of petrol price is a tax charge.  Well, it isn't illegal in this country and
a morning paper has published a league table countries showing the percentage
of taxation.  The US, according to this, has the lowest price and the lowest
percentage taxation.  They have converted your prices to litres and, assuming
their maths are correct, the pump price is 30p per litre of which tax is 8p per
litre which is 27% of the price.  In contrast, the UK price is 83p per litre
of which tax is 61p which is 73% of the pump price.  It is the dearest in
Europe and the tax comes in two parts.  There is a basic tax/import tax or
whatever (I can'r remember the exact term given I'm suffering from a senior moment)
with VAT (value added tax) of 17.5% calculated after the original tax.  So,
Helene, you are far from being the only person to be brassed off by two taxes on
the same item; every driver in the UK is with you on that one:-)

patricia in Wales
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S. Anyone wanting these costs converted into US dollars must do it for
themselves as it is beyond me :-)