Thanks, Lorri,

that sounds interesting. I must make sure I supervise the event :-)
Still doesn't explain why the wire has to be French, but...

Helene, the froggy from Melbourne, starting to prepare for the ALG
conference in Adelaide. Hope the weather will be nicer than 2 years ago!

 --- Lorri Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Helene and all,
>
> In the US, we have a product in jewelry repair/manufacture called French
> Wire. It is a very small coil of ultra fine wire which is threaded
> over the cord used in bead stringing.  A short (1/4") piece is installed
> 'over' the cord at the point the cord will be passing thru the clasp
>loop. This is done to protect the cord  from wear.
>  However, there are now modern designs where the French Wire is
> installed over the thread 'between' beads (usually teardrop forms) to
>keep a space between the beads when worn.  It also gives the illusion
that >the cord is metallic.  It is used as a design element.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com