When I lived in the UK a few years ago you could find
"vegetarian" rennet in the supermarket (either
Waitrose or Saintsbury's).  And there must have been a
recipe for Junket on the package as I remember trying
it -not very interesting as I remember it.  I did
enjoy making fresh "cheese" though.

Here in the US you used to be able to find it
sometimes in supermarkets.  I have not seen any around
for a few years now My aunt's favorite ice cream
recipe uses it so I tend to keep an eye out for it
(not that I have had any of that ice cream for years
-I am sure I don't even have the recipe for it!)

Speaking of ice cream, and since everything is so
quiet here at the moment, I have been making the best
frozen yogurt.  I mix together the zest and juice of
one meyer lemon (a very fragrant lemon that is more
mild that the "normal" lemons, use a regular lemon if
you don't have any) with yogurt (about 1 1/2 cups).  I
add sugar so that it is barely sweet and then I freeze
it in a ice cream maker (I have a very small one that
holds about 2cups of  liquid).  The resulting "ice
cream" is quite tart and refreshing.  It is best with
whole milk yogurt but I have also made it with nonfat.

I have made similar mixes with other fruit but the
lemon is definitely the best.  I am debating making
some but with the cold it is not as tempting as it was
in the summer!

Nicole in Guilderland, NY
near Albany where winter is just around the
corner -we had our first snow on Friday!

--- Brenda Paternoster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>