Ruth,

I'm with you!  My Mum did that to me, and I loathed it, and it drove me
nuts.  And then you'd take your hands out of the mittens or gloves
(mittens I think mine were), and the darn things's dangle and flap in
the breeze and still irritate me by getting in the way.

I tried it with my son once, and then opted for the elbow mittens -
mittens with great long 'gauntlets' or sleeves that went up past his
elbows, and they slipped on under his jacket.  They were the best thing
I found - and worked pretty well too, as it was hard for him to get them
off or for them to come off.  Perfect for playing in the snow :-)

Maybe Bev is lucky enough to have a dainty little one receiving the
mittens, who won't mind the string.

Bev:  I measured my daughter's coat (an XS - so for a 4/5 year old - and
at 6 1/2 Katie is marginally bigger than my 4 year old nephew, and way
smaller than my son was at 4), and I got a good 44" wingspan.  Hope this
helps you.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie in Denver, where we had an inch of the white stuff
overnight, and 'something' is moving in next week - maybe a rare white
Christmas? :-)