Hello everyone,

I think I'm few days late for the discussion, but felt I need to comment this
anyway.

I have been reading with a strange feeling your writings where you give the
impresson that mittens are for children only. I wear mittens daily during
winter time. I feel they are much warmer and nicer than gloves. (I do wear
gloves during early spring and late autumn when it is not that cold.) Margot
from Halifax made my ideas of why you think so seem to be true. Most of you do
not have it cold enough. :)

>From Margot Walker:
>As someone who grew up in northern Canada, the reasons we wore mittens
>as children, and still wear mittens occasionally as adults are

>From Margery Allcock:
>also the woolly kind worn by old men (including DH <G>) with just the
>fingertips missing, for fiddly work in the cold.

>From Jean Nathan:
>I had a pair of knitted gloves which had an extra bit attached at the back
>of the base of the fingers that could be pulled over the fingers to make
>them into mittens. Really warm when it was very cold because of the two

Here in Finland (and very propably somewhere else too) a combination of the
above two is worn not by old men only but by many who need to do something with
their fingers outside during winter time. They are very practical because you
have the feeling of what you are doing and they keep your hands warm when you
are not working with fingers. (Thank you Jean for explaining the thing. With my
English skills I would have had hard time to do it myself.)

And to Weronika I would like to say that it is possible to make good snowballs
with mittens as well. At least I have been thrown with many good snowballs made
with mittens on. Do not ask for instructions, I myself did not care about how
good the balls were as long as I was able to throw them where ever I wanted. :)

Merry Christmas for every one.

Outi, in southern Finland where we do not have it that cold or snowy at the
moment.