Apart from having made a financial donation there isn't much I can say or do about this terrible disaster and the enormity of the suffering of so many people.

Some of the islands were moved 160 feet south, the earth's axis shifted by
about an inch, and the earth spun faster for a few seconds so we may have
lost daylight.

If we lost daylight I guess some areas would have lost darkness.
I wonder if/when the atomic clocks will be re-set. I remember a couple of years ago there were seven pips at midnight 31 Dec/01 Jan instead of the usual six because the earth's rotation had got ever so slightly slow. Too late to do anything this year but maybe next year there will be less than six pips.

Brenda
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/