She's still the queen of Canada too and I think it's great. I like the separation of the political head of the country and the ceremonial head. The American presidential system combines the two, with the effect, IMHO, 'bowing and scraping' (ceremonial role) to someone who is really just a politician. Having Elizabeth II as ceremonial head of state is the bargain of the century for us. We only pay her expenses when she is actually in Canada, and we don't invite her here too often. We do have to pay for her representatives: Governor General of Canada and Lieutenant Governors of the provinces, but they're a lot cheaper. They're usually people who have contributed a lot to the country/province and they're replaced every (I think) 5 years. We've never had a referundum like Australia, but if we did, I vote royalty!