"Jean Nathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Heath Row writes:
I've
>always seen or heard it as "Lead on, McDuff." Which is it? Why?
>Which: "Lay on, Macduff." Why: because that's what Shakespeare wrote.

I don't know why, but this ("Why: because that's what Shakespeare wrote.")
made me laugh.

And now I'm wondering if the reason "SCAdians"  (members of the Society for
Creative Anachronism) say "Lay on!" (for "Start fighting") and "Hold!"
("Stop fighting") is taken directly from

"Lay on, Macduff,
And damn'd be him that first cries, “Hold, enough!” "
Macbeth. Act v. Sc. 8. Note 1

Or if you have Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, it's #1470.
http://www.bartleby.com/100/138.31.126.html

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com