On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:13:59 +0100, Jean wrote:

>>Shell wrote:
>>
>><Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to travel in the UK?>

>Trains if you can be the very first person to book a ticket on a particular
>journey, otherwise can be horrendous.

Jean is exaggerating a bit here.  The way to get cheap train tickets is buy
them with a credit card on the internet in advance.  Most of the long
distance train companies do tickets like 3 day advance or 7 day advance on
specific trains that are much cheaper than tickets to buy on the day.  For
instance I got a single ticket from Brockenhurst (in the New Forest close to
the south coast) to Manchester (North West), a journey of approx 220 miles,
for £32 in advance; if I'd bought on the day it would have been over £100.
The numbers of these tickets are limited per train, so try to buy as far in
advance as you can.

Another tip that can sometimes help is find out which train companies run on
the routes you want to use:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk
then buy separate tickets from each company.  This way each company will
offer you its bargain fares, whereas often buying one ticket for a journey
with trains run by more than one operator will be full price tickets only.

The other alternative if you want to do a lot of train travel is that there
is some sort of pass for several days available to people who live in other
countries.  It has to be bought before getting to UK.  Can someone else help
Shell with this?
--
Time spent on any item of the agenda will be in
inverse proportion to the sum involved.