Susan wrote:
>just out of curiosity, has anyone in the uk or anyone overseas ever
cooked or ate fried green tomatoes?  it seems to be more of an american
southern type of food, so probably not even some of the northern
americans have tried it. all you do is slice a green tomatoe, roll it
in corn meal and then fry them until they are dark brown. salt them
after you pull them out of the hot oil and they are really good....

I've never tried fried green tomatoes, but I always remember my best friend's
grandmother's green tomato jam. I used to absolutely adore it, and they gave it
to me for afternoon tea every time I went there!!
I've made some myself, and it was still pretty good, so I would recommend it!
Just make it like any other jam, with 3/4 weight sugar, and a dash of lemon
zest and juice in it as well.

Just out of curiosity, and because I've been reading a lot of American
mysteries: Do American eat everything fried??? No wonder so many people have a
weight problem! Fried food always seems to be what the characters in those
books eat at the restaurant or at home, and the mysteries that give recipes in
them have half fried recipes, even from places which you would think were too
hot for that kind of food, like Florida or New Orleans!! The English have a lot
to answer for!!! It was similar in Australia in 1969 when I arrived, although
it was supposed to have the best fish and shellfish in the world, the only way
you could get it at the restaurant was fried in thick batter with crumbs
around. Yucks!!! Fortunately, we've come a long way since.

I hope lacemakers are a bit more health conscious!!! :-)

Helene, the froggy from Melbourne