Hi All,

I am becoming even more thankful that I live in the UK!   We don't have to
put up with all these poisonous and unpleasant creepy crawlies and snakes!
The most dangerous thing we have in this country is the adder or viper - and
even they are not aggressive, they just get a tad peeved if you step on
them.    Which my husband found out whilst we were at home in Wales!    He
bent down to pick up a curiously coloured stick on the sandy ground in
Strumble Head - the stick promptly hissed at him, and slithered away, and he
stepped smartly backwards, only to hear hissing from behind him, where
another 'stick' was slithering away.   He wasn't bitten - but unless one is
allergic to adder bites, they are apparently not usually fatal, but they
*do* hurt!   A lot!

In this part of Suffolk too, we have Stag Beetles.    They area huge beetle,
and the pincers on the male beetle can inflict a nasty pinch - but I must
admit I wouldn't get close enough to find out how painful that is.    We
also have the Suffolk Raft Spider.    Again not dangerous in the least, but
*big*.     Before we moved here I was listening to a radio programme on
wildlife - it was talking about some endangered species, in Suffolk UK, and
how it needed people to save it from extinction,.   I was all ready to do my
bit for this poor benighted creature, when they finally told us what it
actually was.   A large spider, about four inches across - its legs would
dangle over the edge of your hand if you were mad enough to hold it.    It
was at this point I began to question the wisdom of coming to Suffolk at
all, and decided that any spider that large could definitely be trusted to
look after itself!

Carol - in Suffolk UK - and who still -thankfully - hasn't seen a Raft
Spider.