Ricki in Utah writes: I've thought about raising silkworms in my mulberry
trees, too, until I heard someone explain it's cruelty to animals.

Ricki, I am in my second season of raising silkworms.  I am a handspinner.
And I intend to use the silk from them.  I would be interested in knowing
why it is considered cruelty to animals.  I guess when you think about it,
any kind of farming could be considered cruelty.  If you raise them in the
tree, you would likely be feeding the birds.  Silkworms are usually raised
indoors, as the larvae lack protective coloring and protective behaviors.
They have been domesticated for thousands of years, and are said to be
unable to live on their own.  They are very tiny when they hatch from the
egg, and grow at a phenomenal rate.

Just my two cents!  I'm finding the thread quite amusing!  The Jerk- there's
another movie we'll have to look for...

Margaret in PA

On The Wing
Mailing Services