I looked up this question in my "Mrs. Beeton's All About Cookery" book, but she only says that it is sold in either blade or ground form. So..... I called my sister-in-law who does a lot of cooking.

She asked what was being made - usually blade of mace is used in soups where you cook with it in the soup, but don't serve it (like bouquet garni or bay leaves). She suggested if you only have ground that you use a pinch (or two at the most).

Hope this helps.

Malvary in Ottawa