Dear Brenda and Tamara et al,

To me the criteria is whether I'd say:
"the hotel" or "thee otel";
"the historical ...." or "thee istostrical ...."
"teh Hispanic ...." or "thee ispanic ...."
In each of these cases I'd pronounce the as thee - to say "the" I'd have to stress the first syllable instead of the second.

That one's easy, for there is a rule to follow here. While the word "the" is always spelled the same way, when used before a vowel sound it should be pronounced "thee". Conversely, before a consonant, it is pronounced "thu"
David in Ballarat