On Dec 4, 2005, at 17:11, Jane Viking Swanson wrote:

Hi All, As I was peeling the "skin" off some mushrooms last night I started
wondering if I have to do that.

I peel them only if they're old; the skin on young/fresh mushrooms is tasty. But I do remove the membrane which joins the cap to the stem, except on the tiniest of "buttons"; that tends to be a bit bitter in taste.

Thanks for any help in battling this scourge - Perfectionism!!

Nothing wrong with perfectionism, IMO, if there's a purpose to it (like: make the best piece of lace you can). But, peeling perfectly healthy mushrooms doesn't make sense, either from the point of view of taste or looks. So it's not perfectionism, it's an atavisitic, unquestioning, action - "that's how it has always been done in my family". Boo hiss :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/