Dear Carol,

I just came back on lace-chat after being away awhile - have stayed on lace,
and want to make a comment on this.

Bloody well use whatever you want!  I would have asked the dolt, "I wonder
why anything black bothers you...Do you have black kin in your heritage?"
She would have crept away never to comment to a lacemaker again...

We meet this sort of inuendos constantly in the South and ignore it as most
of the educated, non-militant blacks do as well.  The militant whites are
worse than the militant blacks.  Here in Virginia, my close friend is black
and I do not call her Afro-American any more than I call Friend Husband
English-American or Haslemere-Surrey-English-Conneticut-American.  .  We
ignore the militant whites who use the Confederate Battle Flag to incite and
stir a pot that has been off the fire many, many years.  So...Ignore

Happy Lacemaking
Betty Ann Rice in Roanoke, Virginia USA where it is happily snowing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Adkinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Hi All,
.... There I was, showing some youngsters on the 'Have-a-Go' pillows how to make lace, and explaining as they went along. Imagine my surprise to be tapped on the shoulder by a lady I had not seen standing behind me, who asked why the workers on the snake were black. .... She pursed her lips, and 'hmmm-ed' a bit, and when I asked her why she wanted to know, she said that she had hoped that the workers were not black because the slaves were black and did all the work. ...but she did stop me in my tracks, and made me wonder if I ought to think carefully about what colour and shape my worker and
passive bobbins are in future.