On Dec 5, 2005, at 12:19, Carol Adkinson wrote:

She pursed her lips, and 'hmmm-ed' a bit, and when I asked her why she wanted to know, she said that she had hoped that the workers were not black because
the slaves were black and did all the work.

I am still not sure whether she was taking political correctness to extremes,
whether she was being humorous (?)

My bet would be like Betty Ann's (welcome back to chat, BA. I'll adjust your joke-list membership in a minute) - a PC fa-nut-ic, taking a (basically decent) principle to absurd lengths. And fanatics have no sense of humour, either individually or as a group... *Especially* as a group <g>

It may be an apocryphal story, but I've been told that, at an early point of 'puter explosion, some "spell-checks" were also "PC-checks"; some replaced *every* "black" with "Afro-American", coming up with text absurdities such as "Afro-American ink"...

she did stop me in my tracks, and made me
wonder if I ought to think carefully about what colour and shape my worker and
passive bobbins are in future.

Cheese, Louise... Surely, you have more commonsense than worry about a nut? She'd have found something to carp on no matter what colour or shape (whips, anyone?) your bobbins were... Brown ones - Latinos, Native Indians - aren't any better than black ones as "workers", if you're gonna push the idea to the extreme edge.

Come to think of it... There's *no* PC-safe solution :)

If all your bobbins (passives and workers) are black: "of course, you want all your work done by the downtrodden, without dirtying your fingers" If your passives are light wood and workers are black: "you put all the work load onto the downtrodden, with the whites living the life of Riley" If your passives are black and your workers are white: "sure, keep the blacks passive and voiceless, with the single white lording over them" If your pillow is dressed in a mix of white, black and brown bobbins: "you pretend to be without prejudices, but I notice that some -- the whites -- have a lighter job than others"

Given a true fanatic, it's hard to win an argument. Given a true fanatic with a modicum of brains (a rare occurence, but happens), it's almost impossible to win...

I'd store it as one of those priceless experiences, to dine out on for years (have some of my own, mostly collected from the citizenship application form. Unfortunatley, very few Americans find them funny, though Europeans invariably do <g>)...