On Dec 5, 2005, at 16:57, Jane Viking Swanson wrote:

I know my mother peeled the carrots before cooking them. That I stopped doing after I met DH and found out not everybody does. I just give them a scrub.

Given the reports on how good the peel is for you, I considered doing the same.No matter how much I scrub, the d...d carrots taste "earthy" if not peeled, so, unless I'm aiming at that earthy aspect, I peel them. Ditto the taters, beets, and all other root veggies. It's all a mater of balance between the efficiency (speed) and taste and, for me, the taste takes precedence.

Actually he would like some peels left on the potatoes when I mash them but I usually forget and peel them completely.

The only taters I don't peel are the "new" ones, with the very fine skin. But since those are out-of-sight expensive in the US (in Poland they were "special", but not unreasonable), I don't do it but once-twice a year. At which point, they're *so* special, I'm not likely to forget to leave them un-peeled :) For mashed potatoes, I use the cheapest available and they have to be peeled (and the bad spots removed).

Jane in Vermont, USA where it got into the 40s today (5+C) and melted some
of the snow.

We got your snow. First fall of the season, and not quite enough to make a problem regarding the driveway, but it did "blind" my car, so I postponed running errands till tomorrow -- to lazy to sweep it odd the windows :)
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/