At 04:57 PM 12/5/05 -0500, Jane Viking Swanson wrote:

> I even bought a mushroom
> brush today (I was in the hardware store and it appeared right in front
> of me).  Anything to make cooking a little faster is much appreciated!

If it's anything like the brushes I buy, reserve the mushroom brush for
removing cornsilk, reserve the cornsilk brush for scrubbing potatoes, reserve
the potato brush for removing rust, and buy a horsehair complexion brush for
cleaning mushrooms.

I just wipe them with a paper towel -- on the rare occasions that I buy them.
I like them best in a butter, chicken liver, and mushroom gravy served over
rice -- and we are much too fat to eat butter gravy as a main dish.

If fresh mushrooms are to be used in a wet dish, I hold them cap up under
running water -- even when they are to be used in soup, I try to keep water out
of the gills -- and rub them with my bare hands.  Then towel dry immediately.

As for peeling them -- heavens to murgatroyd!  The skins are the best part!

--
Joy Beeson
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/