Tamara wrote:

>People will use phrases like "he was nice to my mother and I" and it
>flies right past the editor's eagle eye (I've been re-reading 25
>years' worth of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine for the past couple
>of months and gasping at some of the worst offences).

The rule I learned was "which word would you use if your mother hadn't been
there?"  So "He was nice to I" would sound wrong, as would "Me went to the
store".

Oh, and I learned proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling at school (in
the 40s and 50s) even if they have all worn off a bit now <G>; and when I
took up Latin all of that grammar came in useful and made more sense.

BFN, Margery.