Since Jean has raised the topic of rationing peole might be interested in
what was allowed.  This info was in a paper recently.

Each person was allowed 16 points per month to use on from whichever food
items were available wanted at the shop they had registered with (and no
other.)
Shops were supplied according to the number of households they had registered
with them.  the no of points was later raised to 20 but fish and potatoes
were never rationed.  (I remeber we ate a lot of fish and I seem to remeber
that
a dish of boiled potatoes in milk was also eaten - though not by me as I have
never liked milk.

The typical adult weekly ration was :  butter - 50g (2oz); bacon and ham -
100g (4oz); margarine - 100g (4oz); sugar - 225g (8oz); meat - to the value of
one shilling and sixpence (which even then didn't buy much); milk - three
pints; cheese - 50g (2oz); eggs - one fresh egg per week; tea - 50g (2oz); jam
-
450g (2lb) every two months; dried eggs - one packet every four weeks (I
actuall
liked cooked powdered egg because I didn't know any different); and sweets -
350g (12oz) every four weeks.  children under five were allowed a half ration
of meat, but got an allowance of dod liver oil (I remember that too!) and
orange juice (that ended before my memory begins).  children 5 to 16 had
special
ration books entitling them to fruit and other 'health promoting foods' and
pregnant women were given extra, too.

So, eating the odd worm would be regarded as extra protein :-)  I don't
remember ever feeling we wen't without nourishment but we did eat a lot of
fish.
We lived in a fishing port and fresh fish was readily available most of the
time.

I believe 'national bread' wasn't very palatable, but again I knew nothing
else.  We seemed to eat lots of steamed puddings but as we used public
transport
or walked (and in my and my mother's case that often meant two or three miles
because I was hopelessly travel sick in the tram.  So we worked off the
"stick to your ribs" puddings.

Rationing finally ended in 1954 but don't ask me what was last to go off
rationing.  I remember sweet rationing ended in 1953 being a child at the time.

Just my little bit of nostalgia.  I'll stop there as once the memories start
flowing I could go on and on.

Patricia in Wales