I can remember the rationing in England, too. (That dates me, doesn't it?!!!) I remember that Auntie had a big biscuit tin, and each time we got our sweets ration we each had to put one sweet in the tin, then at Xmas we had a feast. I can remember the excitement when she opened the tin on Xmas afternoon, and we could eat as many as we wanted - just for that day!!! :)

Mum's other sister can not eat butter (she is now 100 years old) and I cannot each cheese, so we each got the other's ration of that!

I can remember, too the day sweet rationing ended. We were allowed to go to the "Candy Store" down the road, and buy wharever we wanted, and then we ate till we were sick!! That taught us to be more careful with "pigging-in" next time.!!!

I remember, too, when I was about 4 years old, being sat on Grandma's dining room table, and being fitted for a gas mask. I can still remember and feel, the claustrophobic feeling it gave me! And my tummy still gives a lurch when I hear the siren go - the Air-raid siren type is still used out here at our holiday town to call out the volunteer firemen if there is a fire!

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz