On 22 Aug 2006, at 21:44, LiduinaAD wrote:

When you get married in UK, do you lose your maiden name or do you keep it with the name of your husband ? For example: my maiden name is Heijblom, my
husband's name is Jaumotte and since I'm married, my name is
Jaumotte-Heijblom.  Is it the same in UK ?

Until very recently it was usual (but not obligatory) for a woman to drop her maiden name and start using her husband's name. Over the last few years some women have started using both names - some put the maiden name first then the married name, others have it the other way around. A colleague of mine uses both names, and so does her husband.

Jean replied:

The double-barrelled name is often used to keep a family name from dying out on the female side if there are no males to carry it on. It's also used for effect (sounds a bit posher than just one name). Or it's used to lose a name.

That's true, but historically, a double barrelled name is more likely to have come about through an illegitimate child using both parents names.

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/