Probably not *exactly* advertise - but maybe hang a bit on the coat-tails of the father?

At 7:39 AM +0200 8/23/06, Avital wrote:
I asked my husband, who's English, and he said, "Why would anyone want to
advertise the fact?" ;-)

Avital

 That's true, but historically, a double barrelled name is more likely
 to have come about through an illegitimate child using both parents
 names.

 Brenda
 http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/