Seeing all these comments about married women being addressed by their husbands name prefixed with Mrs set off one of my pet niggles. My family background is Quaker, and I taught to address people by their given name & family name and not to use titles as everyone is equal, and using titles denote inequality. For myself I only ever use my given name & family name, Rosemary Naish, and normally this is acceptable, except when you come to a computer. Most systems seem to insist on using a title, so I always use the default, which is normally set to "Mr" - this does seem to upset a lot of sales assistants, bank clerks etc, but I think it just shows how out of date and ridiculous the whole system of courtsey titles is. What I have no problem with is titles that have been earned, like Doctor, Professor, etc. What do other people think?

Rosemary,
Somerset