I'm finding this name thread interesting. The different traditions that have been explained is quite interesting.

Years ago, a co-worker called me Victoria. I finally stopped him and asked him why he called me that. He had assumed my name was Victoria and my nickname was Vickie. He didn't believe me when I said Vickie was the name on my birth certificate. I came close to showing him my birth certificate to prove it to him.

Now I work with a couple of people who insist on calling me Vic. As much as I don't like being called Vic, I don't say anything because I don't want to cause problems in the office by insisting they call me Vickie. These people are the only people who get away with it. One person in the office was given the nickname of 'Bumpy' because she was pregnant. When she came back from maternity leave, they started calling her 'Bumpless'. Now they've gone back to calling her Bumpy. If these people decided to call me by a nickname like this, I would say "My name is Vickie."

At least my dad didn't get his way when I was younger. He wanted my older brother to call me Sis. My mom stopped that one real quick because she was known by most of the people in her family as Little Sis instead of Lelia. She wanted people to know me as Vickie, not Sis.

Before my children were born, my husband and I said they would be going be their first name. He didn't want them having the same problems he did. His father's name is Marvin Garvis Jr. and goes by Marvin; my husband's name is Marvin Drew and goes by Drew. Whenever anyone calls my husband Marvin, he says that's his father. Drew has never said he doesn't like Marvin; however, he doesn't like how there's no space to spell out his middle name on the applications. For legal documents, he has to put Marvin D; for non-legal, he puts Drew in the first name field and no middle initial.

Our sons' first names are Bryan and Devin as an attempt for names that weren't nicknames or that nicknames could not be derived from. When they were younger, people would call Bryan - Bry or Bry-Bry and call Devin - Dev. Now that they are 21 and 17, they've lost their nicknames and go by their birth given names.

For their middle names, Bryan's is Marvin in honor of his grandfather and Devin's is Drew to keep Drew in the family. If we would have had a girl, we would have tried to use one of our other's name as her middle name.

When Drew and I married, I didn't think about hyphenating my last name. However, I did start using my maiden name as my middle name. The company I work for now insists on using my birth given middle name on my records and ignores my maiden last name or they use my whole maiden name with my married name. If I receive mail with Vickie L. McKinney or Vickie Lynn Watson McKinney, I know it's work related; Vickie W. McKinney, it's not work related.

Vickie McKinney
Colorado, USA