Dear Jean,
Vast areas of Australia still had outside dunnies until about 1970. We certainly did in the 50s. The light was a candle and the paper was, as you described, newspaper squares. The walls were covered with wonderful cuttings from the "Women's Weekly" magazine - lots of Charles and Anne as kids etc. I used to have a ball making bonfies with the used matches and once even set the dunny can on fire !!! :)

My primary school (7 - 11 years) was next to a paper factory that produced soft toilet rolls. Scot something I think it was.

Scot Bonner rings a bell :)
David in Ballarat