Hi Devon

It would depend on how the cook is going to use the pots! and how much
stovetop cooking she likes to do. Will she entertain (bigger pots needed)
or just for herself and one or two guests at any time. If the latter, a
lightweight coated frying pan with glass lid and a saucepan with lid
should do. The coated pans have come a long way - best to use them at heat
no higher than medium-low so the coating doesn't buckle. I bought an
expensive oneand ruined it by using heating such as I would do for my cast
iron pan (why? I didn't think...). The next one I bought was $15 from the
hardware store and its label had included the handy hint about lower heat
- these pans heat quickly and retain the heat on low, when the burner is
turned off, they cool off quickly. V. efficient. Easy to clean by wiping
with a towel (paper or cloth) and a rinse.
My cheapie pan is great. I have another stainless steel pan (similar to
all-clad) for stews or large meals.
However if I'dknown the temperature to use on my expensive fry pan I would
still have it.
Go to a kitchen store where you can buy individual pieces, and a universal
lid. You might pay the same for a set, but - not as good an investment.
HTH

--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke, BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)