Poole has a lifting bridge across a bay to join two areas of the town. The two halves lift up and down like tower bridge so that either boats can pass through or vehicles can travel over it, but not both. On the approach roads there used to be signs saying "Bridge closed" or "Bridge open".

I'm sure the person who decided on these signs knew what they meant, but I could never fathom out whether "Bridge open" meant the bridge was open to traffic and therefore closed, or the bridge was open to let boats through and therefore closed to traffic.

The signs have now been replaced with electronic ones that say either "Bridge open to traffic" or "Bridge closed to traffic". I think that means I wasn't the only person who was confused by the original signs.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK