For what its worth, my phone is one from AT&T wireless and they have  been
more than happy to sell me European compatible phones and to reap profit  from
international calls. If I did not put on the international package, my  phone
would simply not be able to call the US, so there is no need to threaten a
loss of service by my provider if I try to call from Europe.
I have found that when setting up the service, it is sometimes necessary to
speak to different people at AT&T since some of them may hide their  ignorance
by denying that what you want is possible. Also, different  descriptions of
the billing by different persons is not unusual. Sometimes, too,  there seems
to be a prejudice on the part of the persons with whom you are  speaking, to
the effect that they think you are trying to "rip them off", rather  than
legitimately buy a service, and it may take some patience to get  to someone
sophisticated enough on their side to set up the service. Most of the  people I
spoke
to at AT&T admitted they had never traveled outside the  country, and never
considered the question before, and were quick to tell me  that my phone
wouldn't work there, as though the conversation could be  terminated with that
bit
of information. But, a long patient talk with them  would bring out a
supervisor or someone who handled overseas communication.  .
I never had any trouble with the rental phone acquired in the US and
designed specifically to provide service for Americans traveling abroad.  Maybe
there
is a reason why they run it through England, unlike the Italian  rental
phone.
As for the phone cards, I don' t know. I have never had particularly good
luck with them, myself, because, even if not fraudulent, you are trying to
follow instructions on a foreign phone written in another language. Typically,
come home with virtually all my minutes on the card and it is then useless.
Meanwhile, I have had to have the hotel place my calls which is especially
expensive. I know we used to have a telephone calling card through our home
phone which allowed you to call into a particular number and then place calls
that way, but this is going back about 20 years.
Good luck with the phone card, hopefully someone more clever than myself  can
give you the answer you seek.
Devon

fuel-efficient used cars.