I wouldn't go back to a desktop. The best advice on buying a laptop:

You get what you pay for - the very cheap ones only come with the operating system installed - in the UK they can still be supplied with Windows XP rather than Vista installed. It might be worth paying a bit more for things like Microsoft works.
Make sure it can do what you want it to in terms of graphics
Do you like the size of the screen?
Check on memory and hard drive capacities
Buy a separate mouse if you do anything requiring fine positioning or smooth movements like drawing a line Check that it has wireless capability if you want to get internet access away from home
Make sure it has sufficient ports of the right kind
Check on battery life
If you have problems with your hands, make sure you can open it and that it isn't too heavy to carry.

DH and I both have high end Sony laptops. I can't open his very easily - it has a spring catch and is very heavy. Mine has a magnetic catch and is lightweight. Both came with loads of extra software (some of it quite expensive to buy separately) and we both use the software.

I'm sure others will add more to look for.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK