"Tamara wrote:
denaro (d.) = 1/24of an ounce (used for precious metals, etc)
carato (ct.) = 1.24 of an ounce (used for larger gemstones, pearls, etc.)

What gets me are the last two. Same weight. Both, basically, used to
measure precious items (though in two different kinds of businesses).
But two names... Go figure :)"

I respectfully disagree with Tamara's interpretation. The way these are written they aren't the same measurement:

1/24 of an ounce is what it says one twentyfourth of an ounce, i.e. a very small bit 1.24 is, by the way it is written equals one ounce + almost a quarter of an ounce, so it is about 30 times larger if my math is somewhere close.

Malvary in Ottawa, Canada