Hi Janice -

Your question came while I was at "Lace at Sweet Briar", and I did not spend much time with my emails! However, now that I'm home again, I notice that you did not receive any *public* answers to this question, so have this to offer...

My DH and I inherited a number of old pieces of furniture when our parents died, and while they are not valuable antiques, they had a good bit of sentimental value to us. Each had their own flaws... scratches, dull finish, even water rings. I did not want to spend a fortune on refinishing - partly because I didn't want them restored to "new" condition - the patina of age appeals to me, and partly because they weren't worth it.

The thing I found which has been the best possible solution is something called "Finish Feeder". It is called, "the original and only genuine Feeder Polish for all wood furniiture and paneled walls". It "cleans, feeds, beeswaxes". It is made by the Finish Feeder Company, PO Box 60, Boyds, Maryland 20841 USA. I bought my little can of it in a paint shop which sells paint for walls, exteriors, etc., and all of the various solvents and cleaners that are required for those jobs. This was in a section that specifically related to furniture. We had an old blanket chest which was lined with solid cedar (not just thin strips of it), but the exterior was totally dull and unattractive with lots of water blotches and sun fadings. I gave it several "treatments" of this solution, and let it dry between applications. After rubbing briskly, the wood now has an lovely finish, and the old patina has not been destroyed. It even improved the appearance of a small table which had once had a varnish finish which had mostly all worn off. It actually looks much better, although certainly not a stunning piece!!

Hope this works for you!

Clay

Janice Blair wrote:
Yes, I think the chat list is so quiet that it takes a while to generate a
digest.

To get things moving, I have a question regarding my dining table.  I am sure
we have some experts on line.  I have a dull patch on my mahogany table which
I can't get rid of by using polish.  I have no idea what caused it.  It is
certainly not a water mark.  Has any one any idea of what I can do without
making it worse?  The table is not solid wood but has a mahogany wood
laminated top.  We brought the suite with us from England so it is getting on
in age but not an antique yet.

Janice

Janice Blair

Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA

www.jblace.com

http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org

arachnemodera...@yahoo.com.