Dear Janice, Clay, and others who may be interested,

Clay Blackwell wrote <in part>:
The thing I found which has been the best possible solution is something
called "Finish Feeder". It is called, "the original and only genuine Feeder
Polish for all wood furniiture and paneled walls".  It "cleans, feeds,
beeswaxes".  It is made by the Finish Feeder Company, PO Box 60, Boyds,
Maryland 20841 USA.

Since I don't live far from Boyds, Maryland, I was curious about the Finish Feeder polish product about which Clay wrote. I discovered that younger members of the family have taken over its production and have moved the company to Virginia Beach, VA. In the course of looking for local sources of this polish, I happened on an antique dealer's site which had a page dedicated to the care and feeding of furniture. The Finish Feeder was mentioned which is how I got the hit, but the site's favorite product was Renaissance Micro-crystalline Wax Polish which was developed for the British Museum and appears to be used by many museums and conservators. The name was familiar and I checked Holly Van Sciver's site to see if I remembered seeing it sold there, which it was. Holly recommends it for polishing antique and other wood bobbins. It appears to be safe for cleaning and polishing all sorts of things, including furniture, leather, paintings, metals, marble, onyx, ivory, etc. as it is pH neutral (acid-free). So, Janice, you might like to try this one too. It sounds like pretty good stuff!

This is the link to the article for those who might like to read it:

http://fiskeandfreeman.com/PolishingAntiqueFurniture.aspx

Vicki in Maryland