Jeri wrote:

<However - a BIG However - wool takes long to dry compared to nest materials of grass
and  twigs.  So, the latest wisdom is to not use woolen "orts" in this  way.
A dry nest is said to be better for baby birds.>

Bev wrote:

<I don't think that putting threads out, wool or otherwise, is a good idea
for nesting material. We have had this in discussion a while back, the
naturalists warned against it.>

When we lived in the countryside, in the spring, we used to see birds collecting bits of fleece which were caught on wire fencing when the sheep rubbed against the fence, and nests found after the birds had flown at the end of the breeding season were frequently lined with fleece. How do we tell the birds not to do that? :-D

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK