In message <85d96628cf694664a5684ddb18eaf...@yourb45be3bb8c>, Jean Nathan <j...@nathan54.freeserve.co.uk> writes

When we lived in the countryside, in the spring, we used to see birds
collecting bits of fleece which were caught on wire fencing when the sheep
rubbed against the fence, and nests found after the birds had flown at the
end of the breeding season were frequently lined with fleece. How do we tell
the birds not to do that? :-D

Wouldn't that be different in that the wool collected by the birds in this way would still have its natural oils, and be relatively waterproof as well as soft and warm for the chicks? We used to leave the fur brushed from the cats out for the birds to use - before Chloe, who no way will let you brush her!

--
Jane Partridge