"it is not now possible to send parcels surface mail from the USA,
only by
airmail which is massively expensive.  That ends my massive book
buying when
over there."  Patricia in Wales

***

The postal service here has become very
expensive, and service, more and more lax.  They give us the reasons why, but
huge unnamed contributors are high salaries and pensions (with lots of baby
boomers retiring), and poor work ethic from quite a few.

I would consider
DHL for shipping your books.  The cost of shipping a book changes roughly from
$50 to $15.
They aren't the best for notifying you, as I have had packages I
have not been notified of and tracking is lax, but it does get here, and
typically faster than USPS.  I didn't price out Fed Ex nor UPS for you, but
Amazon Japan uses Fed Ex for their book orders which is expensive, but you can
get 4-6 books shipped from Japan to the US, for the same dollar amount as one
book sent from the US to UK.

HTH,
Susan