David, I think you’re thinking of the Navajo. The vast (71,000 sq. km) Navajo
Reservation is mostly in northeastern Arizona and also extends into New Mexico
and into bits of Colorado and Utah. Major cities nearby are Flagstaff (to the
west) and Phoenix, Arizona (to the southwest, and a bit far), and Albuquerque
and Santa Fe in New Mexico (east of the reservation). Santa Fe is well known
for its arts scene. As to beautiful bits of desert, I agree with Malvary that
the area around Sedona (between Phoenix and Flagstaff) is very beautiful and
mystical. Sedona is also known as a centre of New Age mysticism. I don’t know
anything about what the desert is like near Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

As you’re Australian I expect you already know this, but just in case - check
out the average temperatures for anyplace you decide to go. The desert can be
very cold.

Hope this helps.

Adele