I think split pea soup is a cousin to mushy peas, as it is a dried green pea 
that is split, and then cooked with water (or broth), but most recipes have the 
addition of onion and small bits of ham for flavour and fine dice or shreds of 
carrot for colour.  

The particular form of pea used for mushy peas, I don't think we are familiar 
with in the US, though it may be the same.  The longer split pea soup is cooked 
or stirred or when reheated, can quickly become a thick mush, but water is 
added and cooking stopped before the texture of the peas shape is completely 
obliterated.  <smile>

Best,
Susan Reishus
(I think this discussion of recipes and food "across the pond" is interesting.  
My great grandmother's recipes from her English heritage are written in old 
measure.)



       
---------------------------------
Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware 
protection. 

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to