Hello, from New Zealand!

Yesterday, I made lace at the little rural museum that is based on the stables of a historic house near here. (Ian and I have joined the society that runs the museum, and our responsibility, thus far, has been cleaning and dusting.) For the open day yesterday, I decided to make lace at the same time as supervising the visitors, and the lace created a lot of interest!

I suppose there would have been 80-100 visitors who came through this part of the museum - maybe more - and most stopped to chat. There were two 'tatting ladies' among them. One told her young daughter that I was tatting, and then prompted her daughter to ask me to explain!

No-one had tried making bobbin lace before, although some had seen it being made (at least one had visited a lace-making school in Bruges). I was making a very simple bookmark in Christmas colours - one that I didn't have to think too hard about, as I talked and demonstrated - and had my travel pillow with a finer lace edging in progress, beside me.

I wished that I had had the space to set up a 'try-it' pillow nearby... however, we are shortly to have the first meeting of the four-plus lacemakers who live in the area, and are inviting everyone interested to come and see, and to try making lace for themselves.

It was fun, though I had never demonstrated by myself before, and it was a good excuse to spend the day making lace!

Erica McLeod


Erica McLeod
Coalgate, Canterbury, New Zealand

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to