In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erica and Ian
McLeod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I wished that I had had the space to set up a 'try-it' pillow 
>nearby... 

I demonstrate quite frequently (was out yesterday, too!) and stopped
taking a "try it" pillow a long time ago. Usually, the patterns people
put on these pillows only show cloth stitch, usually in bandage or snake
form, and don't give any real impression of making lace as opposed to a
bit of cloth that could possibly have been woven in any number of ways. 

What I do is to make sure that the piece I am working on (currently a
new Bucks insertion design) has sufficient "easy" bits in it to enable
anyone who wants to have a go, to do so in the piece I'm working. Under
supervision, the stitches they do are just as good as the rest, after
all. Yesterday I had a girl of about 12-13 work most of a mayflower, she
picked up what to do after just watching me do two or three stitches.
OK, they don't get to take the piece home at the end of the day, but
they can see that what they have done is part of a piece of lace, and
when you return to the same venue with a long piece in progress, quite
often they come and ask how you are getting on and proudly boast that "I
did some of that, didn't I?" to whoever is with them.

I always take details of the local classes for whatever area, or how to
find them, with me.

-- 
Jane Partridge

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to