The 'Middle Wife' by an Anonymous 2nd grade teacher

I've been teaching now for about fifteen years. I have two kids 
myself, but the best birth story I know is the one I saw in my own 
second grade classroom a few years back.

When I was a kid, I loved show-and-tell. So I always have a few 
sessions with my students. It helps them get over shyness and 
usually, show-and-tell is pretty tame. Kids bring in pet turtles, 
model airplanes, pictures of fish they catch, stuff like that. And I 
never, ever place any boundaries or limitations on them. If they want 
to lug it in to school and talk about it, they're welcome.

Well, one day this little girl, Erica, a very bright, very outgoing 
kid, takes her turn and waddles up to the front of the class with a 
pillow stuffed under her sweater.

She holds up a snapshot of an infant. 'This is Luke, my baby brother, 
and I'm going to tell you about his birthday.'

'First, Mom and Dad made him as a symbol of their love, and then Dad 
put a seed in my Mom's stomach, and Luke grew in there. He ate for 
nine months through an umbrella cord.'

She's standing there with her hands on the pillow, and I'm trying not 
to laugh and wishing I had my camcorder with me. The kids are 
watching her in amazement.

'Then, about two Saturdays ago, my Mom starts saying and going, 'Oh, 
Oh, Oh, Oh!' Erica puts a hand behind her back and groans. 'She 
walked around the house for, like an hour, 'Oh, oh, oh!' (Now this 
kid is doing a hysterical duck walk and groaning.)

'My Dad called the middle wife. She delivers babies, but she doesn't 
have a sign on the car like the Domino's man. They got my Mom to lie 
down in bed like this.' (Then Erica lies down with her back against the wall.)

'And then, pop! My Mom had this bag of water she kept in there in 
case he got thirsty, and it just blew up and spilled all over the 
bed, like psshhheew!' (This kid has her legs spread with her little 
hands miming water flowing away. It was too much!)

'Then the middle wife starts saying 'push, push,' and 'breathe, 
breathe. They started counting, but never even got past ten. Then, 
all of a sudden, out comes my brother. He was covered in yucky stuff 
that they all said it was from Mom's play-centre, (placenta) so there 
must be a lot of toys inside there. When he got out, the middle wife 
spanked him for crawling up in there.'

Then Erica stood up, took a big theatrical bow and returned to her 
seat. I'm sure I applauded the loudest. Ever since then, when it's 
show-and-tell day, I bring my camcorder, just in case another 'Middle 
Wife' comes along.

Now you have two choices...laugh and close this page or pass this 
along to someone else to spread the laughs. I know what I did!!!

Live every day as if it is your LAST chance to make someone happy!

David in Ballarat

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to