Over the last couple of days I have had a flurry of panic warnings about a
new mobile phone directory enquiries in the UK.  Apparently, if you want to
be ex-directory with them you have to register as such.  One e-mail even
said it had to be by the beginning of next week!  They are including two
links
- one to a BBC website and the other to the firm involved.  The BBC website
is 'panic, panic' saying the numbers will be open to abuse for cold calling
etc. etc.

Don't want this I thought so I logged onto their site to go ex-directory,
and stopped to read read how it will operate, at which point I decided that
it was a bit of a storm-in-a-teacup.

For a start, it is unlikely that they have my number in the first place as
I never do market research questionaires and never give my number if I buy
on-line.  They only have a small percentage of the UK mobile numbers, so if
you have kept a low profile with your phone they probably don't have yours.

Also they say will never sell numbers as a block, and if someone wants your
number they don't give it out, but send you a text saying John Smith wants
to contact you, and give you his number.  For that, John Smith gets charged
a pound.  Very expensive for him when I might not read my texts (a lot of
people don't) or phone him back.

I decided that even if they do have my number in their data base, I could
live with that.  If they don't have my number already, and they are
unscrupulous, to go ex-directory is the quickest way to give it to them!

I expect a lot of you will have had this warning - what do you think?

Jacquie in Lincolnshire

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to