There is a similar problem here in Canada. There is a Government No-Call List and you had to register your phone number so that telemarketers do not call. It also asked you to register your mobile phone. I decided that as no-one has the number except when I give it to them for a specific event (i.e. I need a call back on something when I'm out), otherwise my phone is always off.

What happens is that the list of numbers is available to the telemarketers so that they can verify if you are on it or not (they must not call after you have been on the list for 60 days), but now all the telemarketers have access to your mobile phone number if you registered it too. Many people who did register have found that they are now getting many telemarketing phone calls on their cell phones.

I don't get as many calls as I used to, and the ones I do get are now mostly from the U.S. telling me how I can improve the interest I pay on my credit card (never pay interest because I always pay it each month), or that I have won a 3 day cruise out of somewhere in the deep south except I have to pay my way to get there. If I am in the mood, I challenge them by asking where they are calling from and they always immediately hang-up.

Malvary in Ottawa where we are forecast to have a day in the high 20's - that will make 2 in a row with no rain!

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to