Thank you Jean for all the work!  I guess I wasn't that far off!  <G>The
ingredients sound like pudding mix, but I thought that perhaps there was as
much flour as corn starch in US pudding mix.
Here creme anglaise is is a slightly soured heavy cream, similar to French
cuisine. Interesting how things get slightly shifted from place to place.  
I remember my Granny (of UK heritage) would cover all the uses of cornstarch,
and one of them was, as a back-up when diapering a baby (and the baby powder
wasn't available).  <G>
Now with the answer, perhaps a sponge cake is looming in my short term
future...
Best,Susan Reishus
--- On Fri, 7/31/09, Jean Nathan <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Jean Nathan <[email protected]>
Subject: [lace-chat] Sponge Cake Recipe
To: "Chat" <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, July 31, 2009, 12:50 PM

Don't have any Bird's Custard in the cupboard at the moment, and I only found
one web site which listed the ingredients:
Cornstarch (cornflour in the UK), milk solids, glucose solids, vegetable fat,
sugar, flavours, salt, potassium phosphate, emulsifier, free-flowing agent,
colorants including Tartrazine and acidifying agent.

The site also says that whatever the brand of custard powder, the ingredients
are very similar to a North American Vanilla Pudding Mix.

Alfred Bird invented Bird's custard powder because his wife was allergic to
eggs and couldn't eat "proper" custard (also known as creme anglaise in posh
restaurants)

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to