That sounds like a development of my mother's nineteenth-century recipe for bread-and-butter pickles.

(Mother was twentieth-century, but I suspect that she got it from *her* mother.)

=========================================================

PBL's Bread and Butter Pickles

Use about two quarts of sliced pickles or same amount pickles and sliced onions. Put about one-third cup salt on pickles. Cover and weight after putting enough ice cubes over to cover pickles when melted. Leave on counter. Next morning, drain pickles. Heat enough water and about one-half to three-fourths cup vinegar to cover with about a teaspoon alum. Drop in pickles and keep at just boiling point about ten minutes. Do not boil.
    Drain again.
    Fix enough vinegar and sugar equal parts to cover --
approximately a cup and a half of each. Add celery seed, mustard seed, curry powder, turmeric, bay leaf, a snort (1/10 tsp) of cayenne pepper or a fresh red pepper (hot). Drop in pickles and stir occasionally till simmer stage. Can or place in ref. + use.

Notes: I expanded most of the abbreviations. "Pickles" means cucumbers. "Can" means the open-kettle method. Some open-kettle cans will spoil, but if the pickles are processed, none of them will be fit to eat. (With all that vinegar, you don't need to worry about undetectable spoilage.)

=========================================================

"Cover" by putting a ceramic plate face down in the stainless-steel mixing bowl. A thick plate may be heavy enough all by itself; if not, set something waterproof on it.

Any vegetable can be preserved by this recipe; I once grew a row of giant garlic in my garden, sliced it up, and pickled it (with, I think, no further seasoning). I gave a pint to a friend; she thought I was joking when I told her it was pickled garlic, and later told me that she didn't get no lovin' like a kissin' and a huggin' for a long, long time.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
http://www.debeeson.net/LakeCam/LakeCam.html
west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003/albums/most-recent

Reply via email to