Dear Friends,

While my photos are downloading from the camera on to the computer, I thought I'd better write a more positive story about India.

Having spent 3 very frantic weeks touring (hate that word) around Rajasthan and across Uttar Pradesh to Varanasi, all I wanted was to go somewhere quiet to get away from a billion people and get my head together prior to my dental surgery in Saigon. So I talked with a number of private drivers and one came up with the suggestion of the village of Chail in the foothills of the Himalayas.

I hired him and off we went - some 250 km north of Delhi and a mere 9 hours driving, much of the time looking out the passenger window to avoid seeing the near misses and possible head-on collisions!!

I straight away knew that Chail was just what I needed. The shops formed a triangle of about 200 meters on each side; I was the only person in town of European descent; quite a number of the locals were proficient in English (unlike the bulk of India where I was surprised to find that virtually no-one spoke it); the hotel was magnificent as were its staff. Unfortunately - or fortunately as the case may be - there was no internet in Chail and hence no regular news from there.

With the mountains being so steep at 6000' altitude, after you walked into reception, the rooms were then all downstairs - 3 floors down in fact. The staff work 12 hour shifts and young Arun was the first one I met. He was a stunning 23 year old with pale grey eyes who seemed to be a mixture of Indian and Persian origins. That first night there were tremendous thunder storms and the power went off a number of times - only for 5 minutes at a time though. I noticed that there was a candle beside the bed and quickly put it to good use as I knitted some socks. By 11:00 p.m. though I thought that if the power went off a few more times I might run out of candle. So I cautiously used it to climb the stairs and got Arun to find me some spares as I told him I'd be knitting for some time yet. He then kindly escorted me all the way back down to my room and shut the door behind him!! Well I'm afraid you'll have to guess the rest, but I must say I was surprised at the bruises a good 6-pack can leave - LOL.

The only disadvantage of this hotel was that there was no heating in the rooms (after Arun had left that is) and so even during the day I found myself sitting rapped up in my doona as I knitted away. Each morning I'd wander up to the village and chat with the locals. The man who sold me my cigarettes took great delight in translating the daily world news from Hindi for me as I'd heard no world news for weeks by then. I even managed to find a fabulous skene of pure wool for only about $2-50 for 400gm (got 3 pairs of socks out of that lot). The curries were magnificent and surprisingly, sop was the coffee!

One day I walked with my driver about 2km to the nearby farms. You can only imagine how stunning the scenery was. I don't think my camera even did it justice. The only problem was that it was downhill all the way and the return journey really gave me a taste of altitude sickness. I was surprised: it wasn't like puffing and panting after a long run, more like lots of big deep sighs.

On the 6th day I was sad at having to head back into the onslaught of Delhi but did so with a refreshed attitude and ready to fly out to Saigon. If you care to check out Chail it's worth googling the hotel: "Chail Inn Hotel".
David in Ballarat, AUS

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003/albums/most-recent

Reply via email to