Dear Friends,
As I made lace today my mind was wandering back over India and returned to the very beautiful Hotel Sagar at Bikaner.

It was here that I decided the only way to escape other people and properly relax was to get up early and watch the sun rise on my won. So at 6:00 a.m. I found myself in the roof garden of the hotel with my smokes, some juice and of course my knitting.

The daylight duly appeared but despite there being no clouds I could not find the sun. It was only when it was about 2 horizontal hands above the horizon that the sun appeared and then it was like a full moon. I could very easily look at it. The skies, as I discovered that day, are brown in India and there are in fact NO horizons!!

Much later on in my trip as I travelled back to Delhi from Chail in the Himalayas with my driver Mohun, I had just been to an ATM to get the necessary cash to pay him for the week's work. It was already quite a warm day and so all the car windows were down. I carefully counted out each thousand of the crisp new rupees and placed them under my foot to stop them blowing away. Mohun was horrified and quietly reminded me that I was putting my foot on the national currency of India. I have to confess I was very tempted to remind him that he seemed to have no problem with people pissing and shitting all over Mother India, not to mention hurling all their refuse down it's beautiful mountain sides. But that was just one more occasion when I had to apologize graciously, and smile as I removed my foot, winding up the window and raising one eyebrow as I did so.

Later I learned that even way out in the western deserts of Rajasthan at Jaisalmer, close to the Pakistani border, there were still no horizons. You cannot imagine what it is like in the larger cities.
David in Ballarat, AUS

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003/albums/most-recent

Reply via email to