I like the painting of the Cardinal because it shows the use of lace
ecclesiastically. We often see wide borders called flounces such as the Cardinal is
wearing and our first assumption is that they must come from the bottom of a
woman's dress. Sometimes this is puzzling because the era of the lace might not
correspond with the use of flounces in costume.
The fact that clerics were wearing so much lace adds another element of
confusion to dating and identifying lace, because I think I have read that certain
styles of lace such as Venetian Gros Point continued to be made for the Church
long after they had passed out of fashion for non-eclesiastical use.
Likewise the painting by Jean Marc Nattier of Madame Marsdlier and her
Daughter shows a dressing table with a lace skirt. How many of the "flounces" in
lace collections are actually such furnishing laces?
Devon
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]